As a federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development.
For our operations in Rabat/Morocco, we are looking for an
Head (m/f/d) of the Moroccan component in the global project „PtX Pa thways“
In order to achieve the goals of the Paris Agreement and limit the increase to 1.5°C, the global energy system will have to be fundamentally changed over the next three decades. Hydrogen and hydrogenbased synthetic products generated from renewable electricity (Power-to-X, PtX), such as ammonia, methane or synthetic fuels, can replace fossil products in industry or transport, e.g. aviation, wherever (more efficient) direct electrification is not possible.
The new project „PtX Pathways“ (Enabling Long-Term Decarbonisation Pathways through PtX), commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU), therefore supports the development of sustainable markets for green hydrogen and PtX as a building block for the energy transition in Morocco, South Africa and Argentina. Together with the Ministries of Energy, Environment and/or Research, allocation scenarios for PtX are developed and value chains are analyzed. Business development options are identified and recommendations for improving the regulatory framework for embedding PtX are derived. In Morocco, a pilot plant for PtX, including the extraction of CO2 from ambient air (Direct Air Capture), demonstrates the entire PtX value chain and paves the way for upscaling and capacity development.
In the future, the position offers the opportunity to help shape a growing portfolio of PtX / green hydrogen projects in Morocco and to take on more responsibility in an area that is becoming increasingly important in bilateral cooperation and in the GIZ portfolio.
- Planning, control and quality assurance of all country activities, including operational and budget planning, tendering and steering of consulting services, monitoring and reporting to the client as well as ensuring the proper use of funds and cash flow management
- Advice to Moroccan partner institutions on hydrogen and PtX in the context of energy and transport transition
- Support of the Coordination of the Energy Cluster Morocco and the global project management in the technical, conceptual and strategic development of the topic
- Management responsibility for a sub-team of initially 4 employees; in perspective, assumption of a larger team of international and national project employees
- Close coordination with GIZ colleagues* in the Energy Cluster and integration into the general policy advice of GIZ’ energy portfolio in Morocco, with the project management in Berlin, the implementing partners of the other country components, and other implementing partners
- Ensuring communication with partner institutions and coordination with national and international development partners
- Information, communication and public relations work as well as events related to the project in relation to the country measures
- Prospective takeover of further projects and components of different donors in the same field
- University degree (Master or similar) in energy, economics, engineering or any other field relevant to the project
- Several years of work experience in the field of energy industry / policy and profound knowledge of PtX / green hydrogen issues, especially at the interface of energy and transport.
- Proven leadership and project management experience
- Several years of experience in cooperation with the private sector
- Good instinct for political and technical advice in the context of bilateral cooperation, high political sensitivity
- Ability to work in a team, social and intercultural competence and high flexibility
- Several years of work experience in developing and emerging countries, work experience in the MENA region and knowledge of the Moroccan energy sector are an advantage
- Familiarity with technical cooperation approaches and GIZ procedures and processes are an advantage
- Fluent in English and French, German is an advantage
If we caught your interest, we are looking forward to your application until 10/25/2020.
For further information: https://jobs.giz.de/index.php?ac=jobad&id=51591
You can find this job under the Job-ID P1533V4902.